Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It Isn't Easy Being Green

More and more I find myself wanting to move towards a "green" lifestyle. I know that we will never be the family that has a big compost pile, only eats organic food, and sells our cars so we can ride our bikes anywhere that we need to go, but I have been able to slowly get my husband on board with some small changes.

We have started to eat some organic foods. Our finances won't allow us to dive in completely so we have decided that our main focus will be on fruits and vegetables that don't have a peel that gets thrown away like berries, apples, and grapes. We will not worry as much about melons or oranges. My next goal is to start incorporating some organic meats, and dairy products. We have gotten organic milk for Madison from the time that she could drink milk so now that she drinks skim milk like us I have no real reason or explanation for why we don't drink it ourselves. I guess I figured that if someone was going to have the expensive milk it should be her. But we have committed to make some other changes or sacrifices so that we can afford to add in more organic foods into our daily meals.

I also decided that it would be fun to plant some vegetables of our own. However I failed to remember that my only gardening experience was a small barrel of flowers when I was maybe six or seven. I may have planted our vegetables a tad to early and did nothing to protect them from the cold at night...oops! So now that it has warmed up some more I am going to pull out the dead plants and try again with some new ones. We are planting tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, red and orange peppers, snap peas, and maybe a few more if I get inspired when I go get them tomorrow.

I have started to buy natural cleaning products and using some household products as some of our cleaners as well. I have been toying with the idea of trying to make my own laundry soap, but I'm not sure if I will like it or not. I love when my clothes come out smelling like our fabric softener. I have also heard of using vinegar instead of fabric softener but I don't really think I would like that because again I love the way fabric softener makes my clothes smell and I HATE the smell of vinegar.

Finally, as crazy as my family thinks it is, I have been thinking that I want to give cloth diapering a try if we are blessed enough to have another baby. I have had the idea on my mind since before Madison was born but never felt like I had enough support to give it a try. Zach wasn't crazy about the idea and my parents were/are dead set against it. But Zach and I have been talking about it more and more so he has decided that we can at least give it a try and see how it goes. He also said that we should wait to worry about it until we actually are pregnant again :)

So I guess we will just see how things go in the coming weeks and months. We are committed to make an effort to do these things and if nothing else it will help us to grow closer to each while we figure out what works and what doesn't. Each little baby step is a step in the right direction so we will just keep trying to make choices that work for us and make us feel like we are doing the right thing for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment