Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Little Miss Madison's Birth Story

I had so much fun linking up to Mama M ( a few weeks ago I thought I would try it again. And what better story to share then the story of the best gift I ever received.

Ok, so before we get to the good stuff there is some background info that you need to know. In March of 2007 I had been having tons of horrible back pain but kept blowing it off because I have 2 herniated discs that act up sometimes. On March 15th I called my mom because the pain was out of control and I knew I needed to go to the ER to have it checked out to see if things had gotten worse and get some pain medicine. Before they could give one of the medicines they told me they needed to run a pregnancy test and I quickly waived them off and said go ahead, there's no chance there's a baby in there. I had an ovary removed in August (after years of ovarian cysts) and was on some medication to shut down my ovaries for a while to let the remaining one rest for a while and hopefully learn how to function without producing cysts. I was also on birth control since my husband and I had only been married for 6 months and wanted/needed to wait a little longer to start a family. So I was convinced there was NO chance that I was pregnant. When the nurse came back and told me surprise you are pregnant, I think the entire ER heard me yell "What? No I'm not!" and my mom tell them they better check again. We spent the rest of the ER visit repeating "Oh my God" or "Is this some sort of joke?" Later when we met up with my husband and father, I told them and they had similar reactions.

The next day (our 6 month anniversary) we went to an appointment with my OB and after talking figured I was maybe 6 weeks or so but he wanted me to have an ultrasound to confirm our best guess. He warned me that all we would see would be a little blob, if anything at that point, so we weren't expecting much. But once again we were in for a big surprise. The ultrasound tech turned on the equipment and insead of this little blob we saw a full grown baby. Not actually full grown, but big enough that she looked like a full grown baby to us. So based on the ultrasound alone they estimated that I was already 4 months along. So not only am I pregnant but I am also almost half way done with the pregnancy?!? I was just in a huge state of shock and could hardly breathe at this point. Making it even more unbelievable is that had we not went in to the ER that day I wouldn't have noticed anything different for at least another 2 months. I could have ended up on that show I didn't know I was pregnant!

On the the good stuff. I had a rough last few months where I was throwing up tons (I guess it was payback for no morning sickness earlier) and needing to go to the hospital for fluids and anti-nausea meds. I was also having spells where my blood pressure would just drop with little to no notice and I would pass out so I was on modified bed rest. As we approached 36 weeks, my blood pressure started to climb and I had to be admitted to the hospital for it a few times. I was in to see my doctor every 2 days and each time I left his office I had stricter guidelines to my bedrest...stay sitting or laying on the couch or bed most of the day, stay laying down most of the day, until finally stay on your left side at all times. When I went in for my 38 week appointment my blood pressure was again elevated so they had me lay on the left side in the office for 15 minutes since that had always brought it down in the past. This time it didn't work so my doctor came in and asked how we felt about 7:30 that night. This was at about 11:30 so they sent us over to L&D to hang out and be monitered until he could do the C-Section. Because I was passing out at random, they were concerned that I would pass out if I tried pushing so I was a planned c-section.

At 7:00 that night (August 24th 2007) the nurse started prepping me for surgery and brought me back to the OR for my spinal, which apparently worked a little too well because I was so numb I couldn't feel a single thing or even turn my head on my own. I started to feel like I couldn't breathe at all which my wonderful anesthetist assured me was normal. At 7:35 Madison Nicole was born weighing 6lbs 13oz and was 21 and a half inches long and she was screaming her head off. Once they had cleaned her up a bit and let me get a quick peek she and daddy headed to the nursery for her bath and my mom stayed with me. They finished sewing me up and moved me off the operating table and on to a gurney, which turned out to be a bad idea because my bp dropped big time. It went from 160/97 to 53/30 in about 10 minutes. After getting some medicine to raise it back up and hanging out in the OR for a while until they felt comfortable moving me again, Zach brought Madison into the recovery area for us to get to know each other. We spent 4 days in the hospital before we headed home to start our new life as a family of 3 and our life hasn't been the same since!

MckLinky Blog Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment